[vfio-users] Boot from passed through HBA\SATA Controller

I wish to boot from a passed through HDD controller using libvirt\Qemu. I can run through OS installations fine (both windows and linux), but on reboot at the point it would boot from the HDD, it doesn't find a boot device. Is there a trick to get this working? an extra string I need to add into the XML or Qemu command when passing through the device?