[vfio-users] Poor performance with nvidia GTX 980

Okky Hendriansyah okky at nostratech.com
Wed Nov 4 01:22:14 UTC 2015

On November 3, 2015 at 22:35:29, Georgios Kourachanis (geo.kourachanis at gmail.com) wrote:
Hello Okky,

To be honest, I don't play any games at the time. But I'd say Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite if I were to play something else. Or maybe Crysis 3.
Are you experiencing the poor performance on that 3 titles as well? I think I have Tomb Raider installed, but the other 2 need to be downloaded first. On my way.

I guess our hosts are very similar, as I have an ASRock Z77 extreme4 and the i7 3770.
I've just installed linux-vfio-lts 4.1.12, too. It actually fixed some crashes of my host whenever I was shutting down the guest.
Currently I’m not using linux-vfio-lts, but use the ABS/official version of linux-lts but I modify the PKGBUILD to apply the patches. There are some diff lines between linux-lts’ config and linux-vfio-lts’ config. Though I did install linux-vfio-lts and never had any performance issues.

I've tried without pinning the CPU, and use your topology, and I got a tiny boost in GPU performance, but significant lower CPU performance (about -20%) all tested with passmark.

I'll try Unigiene Valley benchmark tonight I think. Thanks for the suggestion.

George

Can you share the latest config xml that you use? And probably the resulting QEMU command line when running? (Like the output of ps -ef | grep qemu).

I’m still on my way to migrating my QEMU script to libvirt XML, here’s my latest QEMU script as of this morning.
http://pastebin.com/fpfiQg46 Probably you can use my plain script and modify as needed for now and see if there’s any performance gain?

I also applied the MSI interrupt handling on the guest using Alex's and Erik’s guides:
http://vfio.blogspot.co.id/2014/09/vfio-interrupts-and-how-to-coax-windows.html
https://virtualkvm.com/viewtopic.php?id=11

Best regards,
--