[vfio-users] problem with hugepages and sound

Janusz januszmk6 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 20:15:18 UTC 2015

Hi,
I have two questions,
Sometimes I have some short freezes and fps drops in GTA 5, so I wanted
to try hugepages if it would give me better perfornance, but in fact it
gave me -10 fps and drops to 20-30 fps (while without it I have 60 with
drops to 40). Did anyone experiecned worst performance with hugepages?
maybe I am doing something wrong?
my script: https://bpaste.net/show/9089719cbef8

Second question, I know this is vfio group but I don't know where else
would be better to ask, becauseeverywhere where I asked, no one know how
to fix it. I am using pulseaudio and I have some audio glitches, some
crackles, don't know exactly how to describe it... It looks like VM is
affecting my audio even before OVMF loads (starting VM) and it happens
the whole time when I get some sound from VM. anyone know what can cause
this? I tried different soundhw, sometimes I didn't get any disortion in
the sound, but then the sound was behind something like 1 second. I have
the same frequency in pulsaudio set like in windows settings. I even
bought usb sound card, to passthrough it and redirect this sound from VM
into my main sound card - poor quality. also tried streaming from
windows by linco, ssh and pacat - got some delays, port of pulseaudio
for windows - didn't managed to make it work... I know there is one more
alternative - Jackd, but maybe someone have idea how to fix it before I
start looking in jackd configuration...
I also tried without pulseaudio on host, just alsa, and didn't helped

My hw:
msi z170a m7, i7 6700k, r9 290

Thanks