[vfio-users] Laptop Feasibility Query - Dell XPS 15 9550

Ethan Schoonover es at ethanschoonover.com
Sat Oct 10 21:48:31 UTC 2015

I'll query Dell. I'm never confident in the accuracy of answers that
meander out from the byzantine halls of customer support, so once the
units trickle out into customers hands perhaps I'll be able to get
some direct user confirmation of BIOS support one way or the other.

Wine: It handles Photoshop (marginally) but the other suite apps are
poorly supported (at least for the most recent releases of CS and CC).
I do a test install on wine at least twice a year to be sure... :/

Adobe does have a streaming version in the works (primarily aimed at
chromebook users). It's another option for the time being, but
suboptimal. I've tested it and while performance is ok, there are
still colorspace complexities.

Really looking forward to the time that I have a modern laptop running
linux and with PCS passthrough. Or the time that there are realistic,
native Linux alternatives to Adobe.

Best,
Ethan
Ethan Schoonover