[vfio-users] How to choose a compatible motherboard?

Lucas Neves lcneves at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 12:51:53 UTC 2015

Hi Corey,

I'm afraid that the E5-1620 V3 doesn't have an integrated GPU. I'm not sure
though, since Intel simply omitted the "graphics specification" section
from its page:
http://ark.intel.com/products/82763/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-1620-v3-10M-Cache-3_50-GHz
.
So you would need a separate video card for your host system, if you want
to use Linux as a desktop. That's why I chose the i5-4690k over a Xeon.

For the record: my Radeon r9-285 by ASUS works with OVMF, but if I turn the
guest off, I need to reboot the host. Guest soft-reboots are fine.

I think that my ASUS Z87-PRO would yeald a proper IOMMU configuration if I
had only one video card. But I also have an Nvidia GTX-660, that I use for
the Linux host, and both the Nvidia and the ATI cards are put in the same
IOMMU group. So I need Alex Williamson's patch to enable overrides for
missing ACS capabilities. This patch creates DMAR problems that affect my
Intel i915 HDMI audio, used by my wife's seat -- yes, I'm running KVM on
top of a multiseat system. These DMAR issues are fixed by disabling IOMMU
for the integrated graphics, booting with
CONFIG_CMDLINE_LINUX=intel_iommu=on,igfx_off. Phew!

Good luck!
Lucas