[vfio-users] Regarding ACS support

Erik Adler erik.adler at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 01:39:05 UTC 2015

A couple of us are using Xeons over at

https://virtualkvm.com

Personally I have found the Xeon E5-2620v3 to have a “nice” price to
performance ratio.

Pros – ACS on root ports, low power, 6 cores, HT, 40 lanes PCIe
Cons - RAM speed is “only” 1866 MHz DDR4

Many motherboards that support Xeons will have some sort of “VGA”
contact for video on them.
The reason being many Xeons do not have graphics hardware built in and
dropping a GPU into a server board is not expected.

Chipsets like the AST2400 will pump 1920x1080 though that VGA contact.
For about $10 on ebay you can get an active VGA to HDMI HD converter
of you want hdmi.

The segment that becomes interesting is the “WS” or work station
boards that work with Xeons.
Its not unusual to find six full length (I have seven) PCIe x16 slots
and have built in graphics on the motherboard.
WS boards are a wacky combination of server technology mixed with the
desktop. Having a mix like IPMI, HD Audio, dual Xeons, tons of USB
ports, ECC and over clocking on a C612 motherboard? Yup! All that and
not having to worry about your root ports. A nice mix.

Just my two cents