[vfio-users] OVMF + Os X

root at yoshi.dynu.com root at yoshi.dynu.com
Tue Oct 27 12:04:51 UTC 2015

Hi.

I am running a OS X VM with VGA-Passthrough just fine.

using seabios and Q35 machine and latest Clover bootloader (start with
the iso, it will detect the correct settings). Interesting thing is:
Performance is even better compared to 'bare metal' hackintosh.

If i am correct there is no way to run OS X completely headless. you
could however use emulated VGA and then connect to the machine via VNC
but performance will be really bad.

People running real MacMinis headless also need to use dummy-adapters
which trick the machine into thinking there is a monitor attached.

Problems i encountered:

when just assigning an image as a hdd you might run into a freeze at
boot of the VM, qemu will tell you that the I/O thread spun for 1000
iterations. Seems to be a problem between OS X and the emulated
SATA-Controller.

I solved this by assigning an own partition for the VM. It would be even
better to passthrough a complete SATA-controller but mine does not like
that :)

if you like to i can post my config later

Cheers