[vfio-users] OVMF + GPU w/o EFI =?

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 21:21:06 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 2:59 PM, LordZiru <lordziru at gmail.com> wrote:

> is a bad idea to have a VM with OVMF if my GPU doesn't support EFI?
>
> Can EFI Support be added with rom flashing or something like that?

> # ./rom-parser Radeon.HD.5450.rom
> Valid ROM signature found @0h, PCIR offset 1d4h
>     PCIR: type 0 (x86 PC-AT), vendor: 1002, device: 68f9, class: 030000
>     PCIR: revision 0, vendor revision: c14
>     Last image

> # ./rom-parser Radeon.HD.4870.rom
> Valid ROM signature found @0h, PCIR offset 258h
>     PCIR: type 0 (x86 PC-AT), vendor: 1002, device: 9440, class: 030000
>     PCIR: revision 0, vendor revision: b0c
>     Last image

> # ./rom-parser Radeon.HD.6450.rom
> Valid ROM signature found @0h, PCIR offset 1f4h
>     PCIR: type 0 (x86 PC-AT), vendor: 1002, device: 6779, class: 030000
>     PCIR: revision 0, vendor revision: d0c
>     Last image

AMD cards have been known to work with OVMF w/o a UEFI compatible ROM, but
you won't get any output until the OS drivers load, so you're a bit out of
luck if you need to interact with the guest earlier than that.  You might
even have some luck running AMD cards as secondary graphics to an emulated
primary in the guest, if nothing else you can try getting the OS and
drivers installed this way.