[vfio-users] Questions for all who have gotten this to work

chekwob chekwob at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 4 16:14:52 UTC 2015

> What distro do you use?
Arch Linux

> What kernel are you running? Did you have to re-compile it?
Linux wob 4.1.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 17 08:52:28 CEST 2015
x86_64 GNU/Linux I haven't done any recompiling or modification.

> What CPU and GPUs do you use?
I'm using an AMD Athlon X4 860K. The guest gets an AMD R9 290 sitting
in a PCI-e 2.0 x4 slot. I had major issues (freezing at seemingly
arbitrary times post-boot) running it in the 3.0 x16 slot, for whatever
reason, which sucks because the bandwidth would be nice. The host also
has an NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT using nouveau drivers. All of this is
running off of a 600W power supply, which I suppose could be related to
my issues.

> What online tutorial did you use?
Primarily the old vfio arch thread (RIP), plus various online searches.
I elected not to use virt-manager, which limited the available guides
somewhat.

> How long have you had it going in a stable fashion?
For a few months now. Previously I had a guest freeze-on-boot issue
which seems to have been fixed by the latest catalyst drivers
(guest-side). The guest is Win7 x64 UEFI, previously installed and
running on a much older AM2+ phenom system as non-UEFI.

Guest audio is still not working correctly for me. However, if I run
TeamSpeak 3 in the guest and connect to an arbitrary server, the audio
clears right up.

Apologies for any poor formatting, I'm replying to a digest and am
unfamiliar with mailing lists.