[vfio-users] Virtual USB Keyboard and Mouse for guest?

Jonathan Panozzo jonp at lime-technology.com
Tue Sep 1 02:05:12 UTC 2015

Your request “makes sense” but implementation wouldn’t be simple.  This also has nothing to do with VFIO, but rather, QEMU/KVM (I’ll let Alex W correct me on that if I’m wrong, but I’m 99% sure I’m right).

Regarding Synergy, there is a way to give Synergy elevated privileges so that when UAC pops up in Windows, you can still use the mouse.  I do this now and it works pretty good.  Synergy has other issues though, especially with applications that normally restrict cursor movement to inside the app (think gaming).

Does your idea sound good?  Sure!  But its most definitely something that would be a bit complicated to implement.  What “key combination” would be ok to restrict on the keyboard to sending a command to the host?  What if a guest needs that combination to execute another function?  Lots of potential “gotchas” that would need to be considered.

PS:  always a pleasure to meet another Jonathan ;-)

- Jonathan Panozzo