[vfio-users] [Qemu-discuss] vfio pass through only works once after reboot

Abdulla Bubshait darkstego at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 19:05:21 UTC 2015

Hey Jose,

So I just verified that there is a romfile out from asus for the R9 FuryX
that has UEFI support. You can download the rom itself from
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/174070/asus-r9furyx-4096-150712.html
and load it up in qemu instead of the device's own romfile.

Unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem in my case.

I have figured out that the issue I am encountering is that the AMD drivers
refuse to load if the guest is restarted or shut down without rebooting the
host. Without a UEFI rom the GPU never displayed anything to the outputs,
but with the UEFI rom the displays start up before the loading of the
drivers, but when the drivers never load it reverts to generic Microsoft
display drivers so you get a working low res display. In both cases the
problem stems from AMD drivers not loading.

So I feel this might be a new AMD reset issue, where the card isn't
reverting to a state that will allow the driver to load.

If you have any more luck getting the card to work in VFIO please tell me
as I am still stuck in a once per reboot cycle state.

-Abdulla