[vfio-users] Anything more I can do to improve CPU performance?

Garrett Powell garretttracypowell at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 18:39:13 UTC 2015

I've been noticing lately that a particularly CPU intensive game has been
keeping my CPU usage at >95%, and the game's been unplayable as a result.
With an i7-4820k clocked at 4.7GHz, I should be getting much better
performance. I've tried using some of the performance enhancements from the
Arch forum thread, including enabling hyper-v enlightenments, but that
caused my graphics driver to exit with error 43.

Here's my launch script:

#!/bin/bash

export QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=pa
export QEMU_PA_SERVER=localhost
export PULSE_SERVER=localhost

vfio-bind 0000:06:00.0

synergys --daemon --config /etc/synergy.conf

for i in {4..7}; do
    echo performance >
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu${i}/cpufreq/scaling_governor
done

echo 5120 > /proc/sys/vm/nr_hugepages

taskset -ac 4-7 qemu-system-x86_64 \
-enable-kvm \
-m 10240 \
-cpu host,kvm=off \
-smp sockets=1,cores=4,threads=1 \
-mem-path /mnt/hugepages \
-vga none \
-nographic \
-soundhw hda \
-name Windows10-VM \
-drive
if=pflash,format=raw,readonly,file=/usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd
\
-drive
if=pflash,format=raw,file=/usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF_VARS-pure-efi.fd
\
-device vfio-pci,host=03:00.0 \
-device vfio-pci,host=03:00.1 \
-device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi \
-drive
file=/home/garrett/VMs/Windows10/windows.img,id=disk,format=raw,if=none
-device scsi-hd,drive=disk \
-drive file=/home/garrett/VMs/Windows10/windows.iso,id=isocd,if=none
-device scsi-cd,drive=isocd \
-drive file=/home/garrett/VMs/Windows10/virtio-win.iso,id=virtiocd,if=none
-device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,drive=virtiocd \
-drive file=/mnt/storage/win-storage.img,id=storage,format=raw,if=none
-device scsi-hd,drive=storage \
-device vfio-pci,host=06:00.0 \
-usb -usbdevice host:0d8c:0014

pkill synergys

for i in {4..7}; do
    echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu${i}/cpufreq/scaling_governor
done

Is there anything more I can do? Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks