[vfio-users] VFIO PCI-E redirection hardlock

Torbjorn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Mon Sep 7 16:58:17 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-07 14:15, Blank Field wrote:
 > On Sep 7, 2015 3:09 PM, "Aaron Lancaster" <aaronlancaster74 at gmail.com>
 > wrote:
 >
>> unfortunately, using this setup still results in an instant hard-lock,
>> with no output :(.
>>
>> Could it be related to the fact that my GTX 660 does not support UEFI,
>> and i have to boot with a VGA backed text console? (i realize that in
>> a UEFI booted VM it wont work, but the vm should at least boot before
>> the system totally hardlocks), could this be effecting redirection in
>> some way?
 >
 > Search for a ROM with UEFI support - FM2 can't do VGA right.
 > My GT610 supports UEFI, your card should too.
 > Check tech power up DB.

i've experimented too with getting a gfx card passed thru to a vm.
eventually got it to work but it only works once after a cold boot.
if i try to start the vm a second time (for example rebooting it) i get
a hardlock of the physical machine.

tested with both GTX570 and a GT610.
the GT610 is supposed to have UEFI support or be upgradable via asus
update tool for this but it just complains, so i got no UEFI vbios to
test with and are stuck with vga pass-thru.