[vfio-users] vga pass-thru and different gfx cards.

Jon Panozzo jonp at lime-technology.com
Thu Sep 10 18:15:10 UTC 2015

I have had bad experiences in working with Asus devices and their support team (specifically with GPUs and pass through to VMs).  I purchased an AMD R9 290 graphics card that had a custom cooler.  Their website shows that the stock version of this card had a BIOS update which added UEFI support.  The custom-cooler version?  No love.  I e-mailed support and many days later I received a response in broken english that basically said, “sorry, no plans to provide a firmware update for that card to add UEFI support.”  When asked if I could exchange this more expensive card for the cheaper counterpart that had UEFI, they of course said no.

On the flip side, I had an NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti that I bought from EVGA which did not have UEFI support (much older card as well).  Within 15 minutes of e-mailing support at evga.com <mailto:support at evga.com>, I received a reply with a new firmware and instructions on how to load it which indeed added UEFI support and was fully functional in my VMs using OVMF.

From our own user community, we’ve also seen multiple reports of bad experiences using ASUS-brand GPUs and motherboards when attempting GPU pass through, which is really a shame, because I used to think of Asus as a pretty decent brand.  Not saying that they are all bad, but if I was buying new hardware, I’d steer clear of them.  Just my 2 cents.

- Jon