[vfio-users] vga pass-thru and different gfx cards.

Torbjorn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Sat Sep 12 14:29:13 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-11 00:06, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Torbjorn Jansson <
> torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-09-10 20:04, Blank Field wrote:
>>
>>> http://rghost.net/6xrSNp29W
>>> Here's my gigabyte stock GT610 ROM which appear to support UEFI.
>>> It came with the card.
>>> I am unable to upload it to TPU since i can't boot windows with the card
>>> fully enabled(installing nvidia and AMD drivers on the same system
>>> provides
>>> !!UNKNOWN RESULTS!! as in !!FUN!!) - i've got this rom using envytools.
>>>
>>> the rom file is alot larger than the roms i have read out from my cards
>> both via linux and gpu-z under windows.
>> my rom files for gt610 is around 60kb and your file was exactly 1mb.
>

> Kinda looks like it's repeated a number of times.
>
> 0x0 - legacy
> 0xf400 - efi
> 0x20000 - legacy
> 0x2f400 - efi
> 0x40000 - legacy
> 0x4f400 - efi
> 0x60000 - legacy
> 0x6f400 - efi
>
> 0x20000 = 128k, so you could probably dd just the first set and use that
> (dd if=GT610ROM.ROM of=GT610ROM.ROM2 bs=1k count=128).  The entire last
> 512k of the file is useless.

tested my gt610 card with no uefi bios on win win8.1 using the above rom
file and i got it to work.
i even got both the spice card from virt-manager to work at the same
time as the physical gfx card :-)

also cut the file as Alex described above before trying.
looks like a uefi capable vbios is much better than trying old vga passthru.

next test is to boot without the vgaarb patch and also to see if i can
reboot the vm a few times.