[vfio-users] CPUs - AMD or Intel

Mark Nipper nipsy at bitgnome.net
Sun Sep 13 16:30:11 UTC 2015

On 13 Sep 2015, Ira Morris wrote:
> In that case, here's the build that I'm currently considering for my new system build.
>
> AMD FX-8350
> GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 R5
>
> Passthru Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC 02G-P4-3753-KR
> Host Graphics: EVGA GeForce GT 720 01G-P3-2722-KR

	I have a similar setup with the FX-8350 using an ASRock
970 Extreme4 motherboard with a GeForce 730 as the host GPU and a
GeForce 670 as the pass through card.

	The only real issue I still have at this point is that
the host system is basically inaccessible except via the network
(which is okay, but less than ideal possibly for some folks).  I
have a separate keyboard and mouse plugged into the machine for
each OS and both video cards are plugged into a receiver via
HDMI.  I was having a problem where my host kernel would
eventually lock up due to stuck processors which apparently kept
happening due to the nouveau driver in use on the host.  I
initially stopped loading X, and when that didn't help, I ended
up blacklisting the driver entirely.

	So now, when I first boot the host, everything is fine.
I can use either keyboard on the console, and the output is
displaying correctly on at least the GeForce 730.  But after the
first time I try to start my guest, I end up essentially losing
access to the console on the host entirely (because the host
doesn't seem to be able to decide which video card or keyboard it
should be using anymore and ends up with a frozen image of me
starting up qemu for example).

	My solution has been to keep my guest booted all the time
(since the host stays on all the time anyway) and I can just sit
down and start using the guest video, keyboard, and mouse without
any problems really.  But it also means if I need to manipulate
the host at all, I need a second machine to ssh into the host.

	Long story short, your mileage may vary.  But it's almost
close enough for me to avoid having a stand alone secondary
machine just for Windows.

--
Mark Nipper
nipsy at bitgnome.net (XMPP)