[vfio-users] PCI-Stub still needed for now?

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 15:20:01 UTC 2015

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 9:09 AM, Eddie Yen <missile0407 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like X79 & X99 still the best choice that without these problems.
>
> Now I'm already updated Kernel 4.2 and QEMU without re-install Ubuntu
> 14.04, but I didn't install libvirt and virt-manager yet.
> Because I don't want to install them by using only simple install method (*sudo
> apt-get install kvm*) to avoid QEMU flush.
> And I still get confused when I read posts on blog.
>
> If I want to mount GPU without pci-stub, I guess the steps is:
>
> 1. Create the script that makes vfio-pci work, and it different form the
> old vfio-bind.sh (because it can also bind HDMI Audio together.)
> 2. Bind ids to vfio-pci by type command into modprobe.d
> 3. Using the normal VM setting script to launch VM.
>
> Did I get any wrong?

If vfio-pci is a module in your kernel and you want to use the ids= option,
then you need to make sure vfio-pci is loaded before host drivers that
would otherwise claim the device.  I give examples of how to do that with
Fedora on my blog, for other distros I would advise taking a similar
approach, but I haven't tried myself, so I don't have specific instructions.