[vfio-users] amd gpu not being seen

Ryan Clawfish chimmychainsaw at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 29 01:20:29 UTC 2015

I'm rather happy with 2x 280x's. Hopefully i can use linux virtualization for convinence gaming and reboot into a windows partition when i want insane crossfire graphics.

To be honest i'm a noob at this and i don't really know what the hell i'm doing. I'm mostly following the arch wiki guide https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF  Because /dev/vfios/17 did not exist I decided to reinstall arch and restart the process from scratch, roughly documenting my steps. Here's what i did.

installed qemu and rpmextract
extracted the gerd hoffmons eufi and moved it to /usr/share
downloaded libvirt
enabled libvirt and start it
installed ebtables dnsmasq  bridge-utils and bsd-netcat
added amd_iommu=on to /etc/default/grub, regenerated grub and rebuilt mkinitpcio
added modprobe vfio-pci
ran mkinitpcio
/etc/libvirt/qemu.conf added root permissions + /dev/vfio/17
created raw file for emulated hdd
installed virt-manager
sudo cp /usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF-pure-efi.fd /usr/share/ovmf/OVMF-win10.fd #pointless?
sudo ln -s /usr/share/ovmf/OVMF-win10.fd /usr/share/ovmf/OVMF-win10.fd                      #pointless
added uefi into in the os section of my xml file:
       <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
       <nvram template='/usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF_VARS-pure-efi.fd'/>
installed windows 10
installed radeon drivers
added target pci (gpu) from virt-manager gui

When i add the my gpu  the uefi is delayed and booting windows 10 takes forever. There are lots of artifacts and it lags to the point of being completely unusable.  I've tried adding my card via virt-manager gui and via the (depreciated?)<qemu:commandline>. Both have the same effect.

Here's my xml virt config file http://pastebin.com/sNxvXiQ6