[vfio-users] Guest does not boot OS with GPU passed through, stuck at TianoCore boot splash

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 15:55:11 UTC 2016

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 8:04 AM, Stefan Seil <Stefan.seil at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello there!
>
> I am trying to set up a PCI passthrough for my graphics card. I followed
> the instructions on vfio.blogspot.com and used vfio-pci and OVMF, and so
> far everything seemed to work fine. When I now try to start the VM with my
> graphics card passed through, though, it shows the TianoCore boot splash
> (with the successfull memory test notice on the bottom) on the monitor
> connected to the card and stops there. I tried waiting for quite a while,
> but it is stuck at this boot splash. If I remove the PCI devices from the
> VM, the OS boots without problems.
>
> I don't see any error messages in any of the relevant logs I can think of
> (libvirt log, dmesg, virt-manager itself). The only line showing up in the
> libvirt log (/var/log/libvirt/qemu/...) is the following:
>
> 2016-04-10 10:45:08.461+0000: starting up libvirt version: 1.3.2, package:
> 0~15.10~ppa0 (Jacob Zimmermann <ppa at jzimm.net> Fri, 04 Mar LC_ALL=C
> PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=spice
> /usr/bin/kvm-spice -name xubuntu2 -S -char device redirected to /dev/pts/9
> (label charserial0)
>
> I don't really have an idea what the problem could be, especially since
> there are no errors showing up. I am using an Intel Core i5-3470, a
> Sapphire HD 7850 (AMD) and Xubuntu 15.10 on the host. I installed all the
> relevant tools from a PPA by Jacob Zimmermann in order to get more recent
> versions of qemu, virt-manager and the likes.
>
> One thing I should note is that the ROM of my graphics card does not
> support UEFI out of the box. As it is, the passthrough did not work at all;
> there was nothing showing up on the monitor connected to the card. I found
> a ROM from a similar model by Gigabyte that supports UEFI, though, and
> passed it to the VM. Now the monitor shows the TianoCore boot splash, but
> stops there. Could this be the problem? I would think that it should work
> this way, though, as the boot splash is already passed to the card;
> otherwise there would be nothing showing up on the monitor, right?

My guess is the old kernel/OVMF MTRR issues, what kernel version are you
running?  What OVMF version are you running.  Upgrade both ;)  But of
course a "close enough" ROM may not really be close enough.  I find that my
HD7850 works pretty well w/  OVMF even w/o a UEFI compatible ROM.  AMD
cards also have the option of running as secondary graphics devices in many
cases, at least old ones like this where reset works.  Thanks,

Alex