[vfio-users] Guest does not boot OS with GPU passed through, stuck at TianoCore boot splash

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 20:11:22 UTC 2016

On 04/11/16 21:48, Stefan Seil wrote:
> Thank you for the detailed explanation!
> I did this and have uploaded the log here: http://pastebin.com/BXU9UqiG
> I don't really see any apparent errors in there...

Right, I expected a failed ASSERT() or something similar, but I'm not
seeing a direct error anywhere.

What I can see from the log is:

- Two instances of "AmdGop.efi" starting. (Note: that doesn't mean they
  are actually binding the card(s) yet.) The number two is strange. Do
  you have two assigned GPUs? Can you share your domain XML?

- I can see three instances of EfiGraphicsOutputProtocol being
  produced. One of them belongs to the QXL driver built into OVMF.
  Again, do you have two assigned GPUs?

- The boot process advances pretty far beyond the above. The last
  message is related to the USB bus driver
  (MdeModulePkg/Bus/Usb/UsbBusDxe). Are you assigning USB devices too?

  In your email, you wrote, "If I remove the PCI devices from the VM,
  the OS boots without problems." -- device*s*, plural. Did you perhaps
  mean "PCI devices" generally as "assigned devices"? If so, what
  happens if you keep the GPU(s), but remove the assigned USB devices
  from the domain XML?

Thanks
Laszlo