[vfio-users] Guest does not boot OS with GPU passed through, stuck at TianoCore boot splash

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 20:36:56 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Stefan Seil <stefan.seil at gmx.net> wrote:

> I am already running on 4.5, so that should be fine. The OVMF version I
> was using was a couple of months old, so I just got a newer one from
> https://www.kraxel.org/repos/jenkins/edk2/ and pointed the respective XML
> tag to the newer OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd, but that did not change anything.
> I guess your card is from a different manufacturer then and thus has a
> different ROM? Because if I try to use the standard ROM of my card (as in
> not explicitly passing any rom file to the VM at all), I don't get any
> output on the monitor connected to the card at all.
> What exactly do you mean with "AMD cards also have the option of running
> as secondary graphics devices in many cases"?

You have two options when you assign a GPU to a VM, you can do it in
addition to the emulated graphics (cirrus/VGA/QXL) or instead of the
emulated graphics.  You indicated following my blog, so I assume you
removed the emulated graphics when you added the assigned GPU.  This is
necessary for NVIDIA GeForce, but many users have found that AMD cards also
work when added to the VM configuration with the emulated graphics.  No ROM
is necessary on the assigned GPU in this case.  The emulated graphics will
show the BIOS and early boot output, then the assigned graphics can be
enabled.  This mode doesn't actually require OVMF, it works with SeaBIOS
too.

Anyway, I'm curious to the answers to Laszlo's questions.  I've also seen
hangs at the TianoCore splash with certain USB host controllers assigned.
Thanks,

Alex