Re: [vfio-users] [FEEDBACK NEEDED] Rewriting the Arch wiki article

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Ivan Volosyuk <ivan volosyuk gmail com> wrote:
Windows specific sound tweaks can be useful (audio crackles is a pain) - enable MSI as per Alex blog. Might be out of scope for the article though.

Oh this is a great idea. I don't think it's out of scope, in fact quite the opposite. I think it belongs in the "Troubleshooting" part, as some people will have problems here and others won't.

Which also reminds me: in the "Troubleshooting" section I think it is worth mentioning that a $10 or $15 PCI USB card that is to be passed through to the guest can be a big headache saver. It's maybe a "workaround" and not a "solution," but it's definitely something that might not occur to people, and is worth mentioning. USB passthrough works really well most of the time, but in some cases it doesn't; I have a Logitech mouse, for example, that required a firmware update. The Logitech software running in the Windows guest said "unplug & re-plug the mouse to initiate the firmware update." No amount of plugging/unplugging, disabling/re-enabling passthrough would get the right signals sent to the guest to trigger the firmware update. Passing through the PCI USB card though, and plugging/unplugging the mouse from there worked without issue. Plugging in USB headphones to the passed-through PCI card fixed audio problems that were present when passing the headphones through via USB passthrough too.