[vfio-users] [FEEDBACK NEEDED] Rewriting the Arch wiki article

Nicolas Roy-Renaud nicolas.roy-renaud.1 at ens.etsmtl.ca
Wed Apr 13 17:53:35 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-13 12:05, Will Marler wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Ivan Volosyuk
> <ivan.volosyuk at gmail.com <mailto:ivan.volosyuk at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Windows specific sound tweaks can be useful (audio crackles is a
>     pain) - enable MSI as per Alex blog. Might be out of scope for the
>     article though.
>

> Oh this is a great idea. I don't think it's out of scope, in fact
> quite the opposite. I think it belongs in the "Troubleshooting" part,
> as some people will have problems here and others won't.
>
> Which also reminds me: in the "Troubleshooting" section I think it is
> worth mentioning that a $10 or $15 PCI USB card that is to be passed
> through to the guest can be a big headache saver. It's maybe a
> "workaround" and not a "solution," but it's definitely something that
> might not occur to people, and is worth mentioning. USB passthrough
> works really well most of the time, but in some cases it doesn't; I
> have a Logitech mouse, for example, that required a firmware update.
> The Logitech software running in the Windows guest said "unplug &
> re-plug the mouse to initiate the firmware update." No amount of
> plugging/unplugging, disabling/re-enabling passthrough would get the
> right signals sent to the guest to trigger the firmware update.
> Passing through the PCI USB card though, and plugging/unplugging the
> mouse from there worked without issue. Plugging in USB headphones to
> the passed-through PCI card fixed audio problems that were present
> when passing the headphones through via USB passthrough too.
Yeah, I get what you mean. I had to run a firmware restoration on an old
iPhone once, and since the device changes USB ID multiple times during
the operation, libvirt wouldn't recognize that and unmapped the device
whenever it did that. Passing through a spare usb controller if your
groupings allow it is a big step up from manual USB passthroughs. I'm
not sure if it fits the scope of that specific article, though (might be
more of a KVM/libvirt thing), but I'll see if I can fit it anywhere. I
might go with the wikipedia solution of linking towards another article
and simply provide a quick summary.