Re: [vfio-users] Arch user following http://vfio.blogspot.com instructions [please help]

There is not just the forum, you also have the wiki (i admit it is a bit outdated too but someone in the mailing list is working on rewriting it) :
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

There is also a guy who made a video and a huge post on a forum :
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/how-to-setup-a-gaming-virtual-machine-with-gpu-passthrough-qemu-kvm-libvirt-and-vfio.1371980/

Modules are indeed in mkinit, read the wiki ;)

Hey there,

1. I followed the instructions listed on this blog (http://vfio.blogspot.com) and got my current machine to run a windows 10 vm with pci passthrough perfectly.  I've now switched back to Arch (my default OS) and want to try to adapt these instructions now that I know it will work.

2. I have 2 identical GPUs, so I have to follow the special instructions outlined in https://vfio.blogspot.com/2015/05/vfio-gpu-how-to-series-part-3-host.html.  Again, this worked on Fedora, so to my knowledge it should work on Arch too.

3. Please do not refer me to the outdated Arch forums with 680+ posts that has now been closed.  That thread should be deleted as it is unwieldy and useless. I have two Nvidia GTX 970s, but again, it worked on Fedora 23. I'm throwing this out there due to other advice that I have been given in the past.

4. Dracut isn't used in Arch but mkinitcpio is. You're asked to insert add_drivers+="vfio vfio_iommu_type1 vfio_pci vfio_virqfd" in: /etc/dracut.conf.d/local.conf.

Should I instead add MODULES="vfio vfio_iommu_type1 vfio_pci vfio_virqfd" to mkinitcpio.conf?

5. Farther down, I'm supposed to insert install_items+="/sbin/vfio-pci-override-vga.sh /usr/bin/find /usr/bin/dirname" in: /etc/dracut.conf.d/local.conf.

Should I instead add install_items+="/sbin/vfio-pci-override-vga.sh /usr/bin/find /usr/bin/dirname" to /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Garland Key