Re: [vfio-users] Arch user following http://vfio.blogspot.com instructions [please help]

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 9:42 AM, Garland Key <david garland key gmail com> wrote:
I've figured everything out except for how to run the script during
boot.  Adding, "BINARIES="/sbin/vfio-pci-override-vga.sh /usr/bin/find
/usr/bin/dirname" to mkinitcpio isn't working.

To my understanding, in Dracut, I'm supposed to add these files so
that they're called and able to run before they would otherwise be
loaded with the kernel.  Whatever the purpose, I was able to get this
whole process to work on Fedora 23.  I'm not sure how to achieve this
with mkinitcpio on Arch.

If someone could just tell me how to enable this custom script and the
two binaries find and dirname via mkinitcpio, it would solve the
problem.  This is the same problem I was having before.  The wiki and
google searches haven't been helpful at this point.  Maybe I just
don't know enough about it to google the right phrases - not sure.

Hi Garland,

Though I had no identical GPUs, but I think I understand your issue. In my Arch Linux setup I only put this MODULES line in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf:
MODULES="vfio vfio_iommu_type1 vfio_pci vfio_virqfd"

I got a feeling that you need to put the find and dirname under BINARIES but vfio-pci-override-vga.sh as a custom HOOKS script. I've never done this before, so hopefully this forum link will be any use for your case [1] (just the way mkinitcpio HOOOKS work)

[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=208276

Best regards,
Okky Hendriansyah