Re: [vfio-users] input-linux first impressions

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 12:35 AM Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel redhat com> wrote:
On Do, 2016-04-14 at 14:12 +0000, Ivan Volosyuk wrote:
> First of all it is pretty cool to be able to skip the synergy and
> short-circuit multiple layers on the way of keyboard and mouse events.
> It was pretty easy to setup once I found the right options:
> EXTRA_ARGS+=" -object
> input-linux,id=mouse1,evdev=/dev/input/by-id/usb-Logitech_USB-PS_2_Optical_Mouse-event-mouse"
> EXTRA_ARGS+=" -object
> input-linux,id=mouse3,evdev=/dev/input/by-id/usb-Razer_Razer_DeathAdder-event-mouse"
> EXTRA_ARGS+=" -object
> input-linux,id=kbd1,evdev=/dev/input/by-id/usb-0b38_0010-event-kbd,grab_all=on"
> EXTRA_ARGS+=" -object
> input-linux,id=kbd2,evdev=/dev/input/by-id/usb-Chicony_USB_Keyboard-event-kbd,grab_all=on"
>

> The was some rough edges as well. I stress-tested it playing Stacraft
> 2 with a lot of mouse and keyboard events. Some of my keybindings
> require 2 modifiers: e.g. ctrl-shift-r. The issues I found:
> - It seems some modifiers sometimes was getting stuck, so I was
> puzzled a few times when I couldn't select single unit (probably shift
> was stuck). I have to press all modifiers to get it released.
> - At some point mouse was ungrabbed and remained this way even I could
> still toggle grab state for my keyboard.

That could be because of the two keyboard devices.

Does it happen with only one keyboard too?

Yes it does, single keyboard, single mouse.
Another point of data I have: xset r rate 200 100
- still mouse stopped responding after about 5 minutes in the game (about 250 input events per minute)
- I had some suspicious actions happening which I didn't made and my hand was on the other side of keyboard (camera zoom, which is bound on mouse wheel or page down key).

Does it happen with two keyboards, but grab_all=on specified for only
one of them?

Why do you assign two keyboards in the first place?
I wanted to decide which keyboard I want to use in VM.

> - I have 2 extra mouse buttons and the Windows 8.1 didn't seem to
> receive any events for them.

Yep, that is because the mouse devices emulated by qemu can't handle
more buttons.  Improving that shouldn't be too difficult, but will not
happen for the 2.6 release because we are in freeze already.

cheers,
  Gerd