[vfio-users] fail booting windows guest after switching from qcwo2 from raw block device

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 18:46:05 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 12:02 PM, thibaut noah <thibaut.noah at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On the side note, i forgot to say that i can boot if i pass /dev/sde to
> qemu, which according to redhat documentation is not what one is suppose to
> do as it can compromise the host system.

I guess the concern there is that you've made a bootable disk for bare
metal too and you just might accidentally boot that image at some point.
Regardless, that's what you' need to do given the procedure you've
followed.  If you want to make it non-bootable on bare metal, then make one
big partition on the SSD assign that to the VM and redo your clone.  Note
that while it's theoretically possible to boot a disk on both bare metal
and in a VM, it's about as convenient and dicey as moving a disk from one
physical system to another and hoping that Windows has all the right
drivers and doesn't ask for re-activation.