Re: [vfio-users] Boot using second GPU?

Okay this is unexpected luck. After more tinkering i got it to work! Here is my setup:

  • AMD FX-8350 CPU + Sabertooth 990FX R2 motherboard
  • 0000:01:00.0 - gpu in first slot
  • 0000:06:00.0 - gpu in third slot
  • UEFI on host and guest.
  • Archlinux

In order to make host use non-boot GPU:

1. Add Kernel boot parameter "video=efifb:off". This makes kernel not use first gpu and boot messages appear on second gpu.

2. Bind first gpu (0000:01:00.0) to vfio-pci driver. I did this by adding line

options vfio-pci         ids=1002:677b,1002:aa98
to /etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf. They are obtained from "lspci -n" which in my case show:

01:00.0 0300: 1002:677b
01:00.1 0403: 1002:aa98
3. Configure xorg to use second gpu (0000:06:00.0). I added file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/secondary-gpu.conf with contents:

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "radeon"
    VendorName     "AMD Corporation"
    BoardName      "AMD Secondary"
    BusID          "PCI:6:0:0"
EndSection
And thats it! Now when machine boots it shows POST messages and bootloader on first gpu, but as soon as boot option is selected display goes blank and kernel boot messages show on second gpu. After boot you can assign first gpu to VM as usual and it works.

Help request: could someone with intel hardware (ideally x99 chipset) test this method? I am planning a build and if this works i could settle with 28 lane cpu and save couple hundred dollars. Intel's 40 lane cpus are way overpriced.. And with 28 lane cpus only first slot can run at x16 speed while other slots downgrade to x8 or less. Anyhow i would love to hear if this works on intel hardware.
Rokas Kupstys