[vfio-users] Enabling MSI on Linux guest VM - Nvidia

Hi all,

I am trying to do some troubleshooting where virsh commands hang after certain operations. After some googling people had success by enabling MSI on their passthrough devices. I am attempting to do this on my GTX 1080 though it doesn't seem to be working. According to the pre-check commands MSI available.

It says Enable- so that means it is currently disabled, but since it is even listed that should mean I can enable it:

lspci -v -s 0000:00:05.0
[68] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Kernel driver in use: nvidia

And I can see it here as a param for the nvidia kernel module:

modinfo nvidia
NVreg_EnableMSI:int

Currently I have attempted to enable it by adding options nvidia NVreg_EnableMSI=1 to both /etc/modules and /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf (file I had to create). I have also tried running:

sudo modprobe nvidia NVreg_enableMSI=1

and

echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/bus/pci/devices/$mydevice/msi_bus

However, after each method (and subsequent reboot) running the lspci -v -s command still says Enable-.

Any tips or help would be appreciated.

Thanks