[vfio-users] IGD passthrough: No Seabios output; PTE read access not set

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Tue Dec 13 08:16:29 UTC 2016

  Hi,

> confusing though, that removing the -bios option fixed it. I thought
> qemu depends on seabios and if I diff the bios.bin files in
> /usr/share/seabios and /usr/share/qemu diff finds no binary differences.
> So which bios is qemu now using? Is it built-in? An explanation would be
> very much appreciated.

/usr/share/qemu/bios-256k.bin is the default.

/usr/share/qemu/bios.bin is there for backward compatibility with older
qemu versions which had a bios with only 128k size.  It has certain
features turned off to make it fit.  Which is probably the reason why
things break if you try to use it.

Distributions typically have a separate seabios package installing stuff
to /usr/share/seabios, and /usr/share/qemu has symlinks to that place
instead of the blobs.

HTH,
  Gerd