[vfio-users] Win 10 VM often freezes Linux when shutting down

Jens Zimmermann zimmermannjens888 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 20:06:36 UTC 2016

I am using PCIE1 for the nvidia 210 (host) and PCIE3 for nvidia 750 Ti
(guest): http://i.imgur.com/iFR7Vn9.png
With the 5820k the lane distribution is 16 (PCI1) /8 (PCIE3) / 4 (PCIE5),
so there are not many options to choose from. Actually I would prefer to
have the 750 Ti in slot 1 so it would have more lanes, but I could not find
any option to boot from a different slot than 1. Do you happen to know how
I could use the 210 for my Linux host and still get 16 lanes for the 750 Ti?

Alex, your guess is correct, it's Intel Corporation C610/X99 series chipset
HD Audio Controller which I use for sound both on my host and guest (not at
the same time).
Regarding nodedev-detach and managed="no", I can only do it for the
graphics card since I need all the other devices for the host after the VM
was shut down, right? So I would do "virsh nodedev-detach pci_0000_01_00_0"
and "virsh nodedev-detach pci_0000_01_00_1" and then set managed="no" for
both devices? Do I need to apply the nodedev-detach command every time I
boot the PC?
If it is some other assigned device that is causing the freezes there is
nothing I can do which does not result in a reboot?

Mario, I am using vfio-pci to bind the GPU audio and then assign it to the
VM. So are you suggesting to not assign it to the VM in the first place or
what do you do? :-)
Concerning Windows fast startup, I know about the option you are talking
about and I had searched for it before already, but it does not exist on my
Windows for whatever reason (maybe because it is not activated yet). If I
understand it correctly the full shutdown should prevent the fast startup
though.

-

Thank you for all your replies, guys, there is room for hope again. :-)