[vfio-users] vfio PCI passthrough NVIDIA K420 GPU problems

Bronek Kozicki brok at spamcop.net
Wed Feb 24 20:48:59 UTC 2016

On 24/02/2016 20:26, Bronek Kozicki wrote:
> I'm successfully passing through two Quadro M5000 (to two instances of
> Windows 10), looking at
> http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/Quadro_Certified/361.91/361.91-win10-quadro-grid-release-notes.pdf
> (page 9) it is not obvious that this would work for either your K420 or
> mine M5000. One gotcha - when starting Windows I do not see boot screen
> at all, only Windows logon scren after nVidia drivers had loaded.
> Explanation is in Alex's email sent to this list on 6th Feb 2016,
> subject "No boot screen on Quadro M5000?" - basically passed through
> Quadro cards are meant to be secondary  only (I use them as only card,
> though). However this small quirk aside, this works for me very well.
. . .
> socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-bochnia-vfio2/monitor.sock,server,nowait
> -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control -rtc
> base=utc,driftfix=slew

... in case you are puzzled by above "-rtc base=utc,driftfix=slew", I
use RealTimeIsUniversal=0x1 and have disabled Windows Time service in
both guests (since doing anything else is like trying to fight the tide
- my  host clock is controlled by hypervisor and that's all to it, as
far as Windows guests are concerned). You can read more about this here
http://superuser.com/questions/494432/force-windows-8-to-use-utc-when-dealing-with-bios-clock

B.

PS sorry about previous "empty" email, keyboard malfunction