[vfio-users] passthrough VGA for widespread use?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Fri Feb 26 08:59:34 UTC 2016

Is a passthrough VGA configuration currently considered stable and
secure for widespread use, for example, where non-technical users can
work productively with applications running this way in an office
environment?

Some specific things come to mind:

a) crashes: I've seen crashes mentioned in a few discussions, but are
there many people running it for days and weeks at a time without
crashes?  Are such issues specific to particular hardware and can they
be avoided by using hardware that is preferred/more heavily tested by
the developers?

b) security: in my testing so far, I just run the qemu command as root.
 To what extent can the use of root privileges be avoided?  I realize a
VM is never 100% secure compared to a normal user session.

c) control: some of the blogs and wikis mention that tools like
virt-manager and virt-install don't fully cope with passthrough VGA
configuration, is that still up to date?  Can the user start and manage
the VM using some GUI from their X desktop on their host display?

d) interaction between VM and host desktop: when the user locks the host
display (screensaver), can this also lock the VM's passthrough display,
or the user will always need to lock both?  How well does something like
Synergy work across the displays, especially for things like cut-and-paste?