[vfio-users] VM Randomly Becomes Choppy

Ben J btpprograms at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 19:00:54 UTC 2016

I've narrowed it down to a cpu issue, I was giving 6 cores (I only have 6)
to the VM and from looking at htop it seems to start lagging from major cpu
spikes. For a moment Skype spikes to 250% cpu usage when it launches which
would explain why it triggered the issue. Is there a steadfast rule for cpu
allocation to gaming VM's? So far 6 has been unstable, 3 has always been
choppy on boot, and 4 seems fairly stable but has still occasionally gotten
choppy. I'm currently testing 5 but I expect it will be worse than 4. I'm
also only currently running at 3.3GHz and could easily overclock to ~3.9 if
that would make a big difference. I find it difficult to believe that it's
not just an optimization issue though since I've never had any issues with
this cpu before.