[vfio-users] Xeon E3 1200 v5 ACS support

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 21:41:58 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Nicolas Blais <nicblais at clkroot.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested in building a rig with 2 PCIE GPU's in pass-through with a
> Xeon E3 1200 v5 series (not the v3), likely the E3 1275 v5.  I was
> wondering if it supported ACS on root ports or not.  Reading the following:
> http://vfio.blogspot.ca/2015/10/intel-processors-with-acs-support.html,
> no mention of the v5 series.
>
> Intel's specification update (
> https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/xeon-e3-1200v3-spec-update.pdf)
> specifically states the v3 do not have ACS support in PCIE root ports,
> while for the v5 series, (
> https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/xeon-e3-1200v5-spec-update.pdf)
> has no mention.
>
> Browsing through the archives, I landed on an message (
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/vfio-users/2015-October/msg00211.html)
> which talks about the v5 but no clear mention of whether or not it supports
> ACS on root ports.

http://ark.intel.com/products/88177/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1275-v5-8M-Cache-3_60-GHz

Ark calls this a Skylake processor, which means it's based off the desktop
processors just like previous generation E3.  We know that Skylake does not
have ACS on the processor root ports, so I'd put my money on no ACS support
for E3 v5.  Thanks,

Alex