[vfio-users] cpu usage in guest != cpu usage in host, even with exclusive pinning

Friedrich Oslage friedrich at oslage.de
Tue Jan 19 15:52:18 UTC 2016

I did some more testing and it turns out to be a kernel error,
introduced somewhere around linux 4.3.

Short description of the error: 100% cpu usage while using 3d in a vm
with vfio

My last known good kernel is 4.2.8, which gives me about 20% cpu usage
while playing Diablo III. My first known bad kernel is 4.3.3, which
gives me 100% cpu usage with every game, even while idle-ling in the menu.

I tried to bisect it, but apparently during the 4.3 merge window vfio
was completely broken, my VM won't even boot.

Can someone give me a hint on how to debug this? I am not really capable
of debugging the kernel, therefore bisecting was my only hope...

Regards,
Friedrich