[vfio-users] Stability issues with GTX 970 and GTX 660, Nvidia driver crashes often, seemingly under load

Torbjorn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Thu Jul 7 19:20:09 UTC 2016

On 2016-07-07 20:01, Brian Yglesias wrote:
> I've been trying to get GPU passthrough to work more reliably for a few days.
>
> I have an Asus Rampage III Forumula (X58 chipset LGA1366) with latest bios, Xeon X5670, kernel 4.4.13, quemu 2.5.1.1.  I'm passing through a GTX 660 and a GTX 970, sometimes to two different VMs, and sometimes to the same one.

i have a gtx970 and it works pretty well for gpu passthru.
but i'm not so sure a 660 will work and i suspect you will have reset
issues.

i would suggest to to first try just one vm and keep it simple.
start with the gtx970 that is known to work.

my issues that i so far haven't been able to resolve is occasional
freezing after a period of playing for example witcher3 that stresses
the gfx card pretty hard.
but to my surprise audio works perfectly even when graphics freeze.

gtx970 vm itself (win10) is stable and survives multiple reboots without
any problems.