[vfio-users] hot-plug PCIe reassignment

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 02:52:44 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 8:43 PM, Kajim Shanti <kajimshanti at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Since I heard there are some PCIe devices that are hot-pluggable, I was
> wondering if it might work to cut off the power from a discrete graphic
> card in order to reassign it among different VMs without having to restart
> the host (and possibly the guests too?) Has anyone tried yet? Might it help
> to get a secondary PSU so that one could easily power on and off his
> descrete graphics without having to open the case? Thank you, sorry if the
> question was asked already.

Why would you need to cut power to the device to reassign it?  The
limitation here is guest drivers, the bus reset we do is already sufficient
for hot-plugging between guests, unless you've made the mistake of buying
AMD.  AFAIK, Windows already supports both hot unplug and re-plug, but
seems to require a guest reboot to really activate a hot-added GPU.  I
don't know if I've tested this on win10 though, maybe it's improved.
Anyway, a secondary PSU is probably only going to allow you to put the card
into a broken state where the GPU is still powered by the slot, but doesn't
have the additional external power.  Seems like a non-zero chance of
letting out the magic smoke doing something like that too.