[vfio-users] Is this issue my computer or Windows?

Jonathan Scruggs j.scruggs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 11:04:00 UTC 2016

Hi all,

This happened from time to time before, but now it has gotten to the point
where it is getting really annoying.

The issue is that Windows 10 will start booting and get the blue flag part,
which is just the beginning of the boot process after the OVMF bios screen,
and then just freeze. By freeze, I mean the processor usage for the guest
stays at a solid 16% according to the virt-manager GUI. No progress is ever
made no matter how long it's running. It's just a straight line at 16%.

I need to do a "Force Off" and then start it again, but I would need to do
this several times before it boots up properly.

This has happened on kernels 4.5.5 and 4.6.3.
The nVidia card is passed through.
USB controller is passed through.
Sata disk is a ZFS ZVol passed in as a raw disk using VIrtIO.
Network card is using VirtIO.
Using July 9th OVMF from here: https://www.kraxel.org/repos/jenkins/edk2/
(Though, this happened with a lot of earlier versions)
VitIO Drivers: I was using 0.1.117-1, which had these issues, but I have
sense upgraded to 0.1.118-2. In fact, I did a complete reinstall using the
0.1.118-2 drivers from the start and still have this.

However, If I connect the System Rescue CD image to the virtual CD drive,
it boots up to GUI all the time.

Also, even when in Windows, I have had the issue where it would randomly
lock with the CPU at 16% frozen. But, this was _rare_.

I know Windows with VFIO passed through graphics is more sensitive than
Linux is, so that's why I need to ask which one this is. Linux tends to
tolerate a lot more stuff and I've even run it on hardware that was failing
to recover stuff that Windows would just not boot.

Thanks,
Jon