[vfio-users] KMS and vfio modules: vfio fail if active with nvidia

sL1pKn07 SpinFlo sl1pkn07 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 23:31:54 UTC 2016

> On Jul 24, 2016 2:10 AM, "sL1pKn07 SpinFlo" <sl1pkn07 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> linux   /boot/vmlinuz-linux
>> root=UUID=1b76a96e-0c70-49c5-a90b-c5308f969a2f rw  intel_iommu=on
>> nvidia-drm.modeset=1
>>
>> how select one specific card in kms?
>
> Search for kernel parameter options. Also, if nvidia-drm is a module, you
> can do modinfo to find out all parameters.
> Also keeping the first gpu busy before KMS shoots out may help. Though KMS
> drivers usually don't care about other device users, most of them just grab
> the needed mmio space just like vesafb does.
> And what would totally help is swapping the cards in the pci-e slots.
> Or not using the KMS at all, but i see that you need it, so it's not an
> option for you.

i can live without KMS, like before. active KMS is for pure experiment
(wayland ;_;)

the nvidia_drm parameters is only one

└───╼  modinfo nvidia-drm
filename:       /lib/modules/4.6.2-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia-drm.ko
version:        367.27
supported:      external
license:        MIT
srcversion:     B8FCD56C742BC6AE8E5AE24
alias:          pci:v000010DEd00000E00sv*sd*bc04sc80i00*
alias:          pci:v000010DEd*sv*sd*bc03sc02i00*
alias:          pci:v000010DEd*sv*sd*bc03sc00i00*
depends:        drm,drm_kms_helper,nvidia-modeset
vermagic:       4.6.2-1-ARCH SMP preempt mod_unload modversions
parm:           modeset:Enable atomic kernel modesetting (1 = enable,
0 = disable (default)) (bool)

i can't swap the cards between slots. is my best layer for my configuration
https://www.redhat.com/archives/vfio-users/2016-January/msg00095.html

i'm not sure what you mean with:

> Also keeping the first gpu busy before KMS shoots out may help

how make this?

greetings