[vfio-users] UEFI not respecting video output selection

Ryan A Young rayoung at utexas.edu
Thu Jul 28 15:38:17 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I have been a happy passthrough camper for two years with my HD 7850,
a BIOS-only card. I recently upgraded to a GTX 1060 which has
UEFI-capable firmware. It works great in my VM, but I have an issue
with the UEFI firmware on the host - it always selects the GTX video
output on bootup, even though I have the primary video card option set
to "Onboard." This worked fine for the non-UEFI 7850, but it seems
this option is being ignored for my new UEFI 1060.

Of course this causes problems with guest assignment because Linux
attaches various subsystems to the GTX. Right now I am working around
this by unplugging the monitor cable from the GTX when I power on the
system, which coerces the UEFI to not use it. Any ideas?

Ryan