[vfio-users] VGA passthrough on a ultrabook

János Horváth hjanos95 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 09:47:07 UTC 2016

Hi,

Have a look at KVMGT
<https://01.org/igvt-g/blogs/wangbo85/2016/ntel-gvt-g-kvmgt-public-release-q22016>.
It has the capabilities to share the Intel card with the VM. It is also
possible to decide which output (host or VM) you want to see on the
display/output, so that is solved too.
I have tried to passthrough the NVIDIA card, but without much success. You
can read more here
<https://www.redhat.com/archives/vfio-users/2016-July/msg00047.html>.
(TL;DR: the NVIDIA card is passed through but I cannot install the driver
and subsystem ID is 00000000, so it is probably a failed initialization or
something like that)
It seems to me that the BIOS of the machine must contain some proprietary
magic in order to have Optimus working. I don't know how is it or even if
it is even possible to port from the laptop's BIOS.

Regards,
János