[vfio-users] Linux-on-Linux desktop

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 14:29:16 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 8:18 AM, Adam Hunt <voxadam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Alex,
>
> Thanks for the reply. When you say that I'll need to run in legacy mode I
> take it that you're referring to the physical system, not the VM(s).

No, read the link.  There are two modes of IGD assignment, universal
passthrough mode, which requires a Broadwell or newer GPU and "legacy"
mode.  Legacy mode imposes additional requirements on the VM in order to be
compatible with the integrated graphics.  We need to modify some IDs on the
host bridge, create an ISA/LPC bridge with the right IDs, and expose
certain firmware features as reserved memory and trap some of the video
BIOS programming.  This is all independent of the host using legacy BIOS vs
UEFI boot.  Also note that we don't yet have OVMF support for the VM
firmware dependencies, so your IGD VM needs to use a regular BIOS.