[vfio-users] Question about IGD Passthrough

YounJae Rho luxflow at live.com
Mon Jun 20 16:44:37 UTC 2016

Hi!
I applied alex's IGD(Intel graphic display) passthrough patch recently.
First of all, thanks alex for your hard works!

It seems to work perfectly in Ubuntu 16.04 but problem is windows 10.
On windows 10, all mode except safe booting doesn't boot and keep rebooting
Law graphic mode also keep rebooting.
First question is
Is there anyone that have succeed in booting windows 10?

Second question is
What is the difference between Gerd
patch(https://www.redhat.com/archives/vfio-users/2016-January/msg00035.html)
and alex patch?
Currently I applied only alex's IGD patch but do I have to applied Gerd
patch also?

Third question is
Is there no way to test UPT mode in haswell based processor?
I tested UPT mode on both windows and linux, but both said `no vga output`
I know documentation says UPT mode only is supported in Broadwell and later
process
But when I boot from live cd of Igvt-g
project(https://01.org/igvt-g/blogs/czhou/2016/intel-gvt-g-iso-public-releas
e-q12016), it works.
I don't know exactly but as I know Igvt-g and UPT uses same mechanism isn't
it?

Forgive me if I ask silly question or my bad English skill annoy you
Thanks in advance.

My test environment is
Kernel : linux 4.6.0 (almost vanilla kernel, but some code are patched for
Ubuntu)
QEMU : QEMU emulator version 2.6.50 (v2.6.0-1190-g482b618-dirty)
Seabios : up to commit `splash: Skip the RGB555 mode`
CPU : Intel E3-1265L V3 (haswell based E3 xeon)
QEMU parameter :
#legacy mode
qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu host -m 4096  -realtime mlock=on -smp
4,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=2 \
-machine pc,accel=kvm,usb=off,mem-merge=off \
-nographic -no-user-config -nodefaults \
-device vfio-pci,host=00:02.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2 \
-hda /mnt/VMs/windows.qcow2 \
-net nic,model=virtio,addr=0x04 -net user \
-device vfio-pci,host=00:14.0,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x14 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci3,id=uhci \
-device usb-ehci,id=ehci \
-device nec-usb-xhci,id=xhci \