[vfio-users] Some questions regarding VGA Arbitration, BIOS and UEFI Boot

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 17:38:51 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 1:43 AM, Zir Blazer <zir_blazer at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I expect to get AW to reply this time, heh. Seriously, I can't make wall
> of texts smaller than this since i always try to explain context and my
> thoughs.

Not into the whole brevity thing huh?  I found this one challenging to get
through as well.

1) The host using UEFI or legacy BIOS and VGA support is irrelevant.  In an
ideal world, maybe this wouldn't be the case, but Xorg wants exclusive
access to VGA even though it probably doesn't use it.  Find someone to go
fix Xorg.

2) Yes, you should probably try secondary graphics passthrough, this
typically works for AMD cards and would probably allow you to avoid the
whole VGA issue.

3) IGD issues are numerous; dependencies not only on the PCI address of the
device in the guest, but also stolen memory configuration, OpRegion access,
vBIOS fixups, LPC bridge presence and IDs, and host bridge identification.
Go read the upstream development threads or maybe I'll write a blog post
about it some day.

4) romfile= doesn't care about the size of the physical option ROM space on
the device.  I've never tried to mod a ROM for UEFI support, in fact, why
bother, are you somehow attached to this 5770?  For an investment of
$100USD a GTX750 handily beats it, includes UEFI support, and uses less
power.  How much is your time worth?