[vfio-users] GPU Passthrough Artifacts

Mario Goebbels me at tomservo.cc
Sun Mar 27 21:54:27 UTC 2016

As far as single GPU goes, it appears it's not impossible. I won't be
trying it for probably another month, but from what I've gathered, you need
to boot with UEFI, need to unbind all VTs, unload any drivers like nouveau,
nvidia and/or efifb (which needs to be compiled in as module), so that
nothing holds onto the device, then you should be good to go to pass it
through. Once QEMU quits, you have to revert all that.

I had a discussion with someone else about it on /r/vfio (on Reddit) a
while ago, he eventually managed to get it to work.

Personally, I have this script bookmarked as reference for the VT business,
for whenever I'm going to give it an attempt (it's about switching between
nvidia and nouveau at runtime, but it does all the VT binding stuff, too).
Maybe it'll help you experimenting:

https://gist.github.com/davispuh/84674924dff1db3e7844

Regards,
-mg