[vfio-users] vfio binding undone

Okky Hendriansyah okky.htf at gmail.com
Sun May 1 23:31:25 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 2:40 AM, Zycorax Tokoroa <zycorax at phoxden.xyz> wrote:

> I seem to have troubles in getting vfio to work under ubuntu.
> I have two discrete graphic cards, a GTX 970 (to be passed trough) and a
> GTX 960 for the host. The GTX 960 is in the primary slot, and is the card
> trough which I see grub and the early linux boot.
>
> I am currently using kubuntu 16.04 with the following kernel parameters:
> intel_iommu=on rd.modules-load=vfio-pci
> vfio-pci.ids=10de:13c2:1043:8508,10de:0fbb:1043:8508,1b21:1142:1043:85fd

> I have tried using the driver_override mechanism as in Alex's blog but it
> fails with the same result.

Hi Zycorax,

I have 3 NVIDIA GPUs installed in my host (GT 610 for the host, GT 730 for
Mac OS X El Capitan guest, and GTX 980 Ti for Windows 10 guest), and here
are the things that I do:

1.) I put the vfio-pci ids and vfio-pci disable_vga=1 on the
/etc/modprobe.d/vfio-pci.conf.

2.) I put intel_iommu=on iommu=pt rd.modules-load=vfio-pci on the kernel
command line.

3.) Regenerate initramfs of the kernel everytime I make changes in vfio-pci
ids.

I found myself failed to bind devices to VFIO if I forgot to update
initramfs after changing vfio-pci ids in /etc/modprobe/vfio-pci.conf. Have
you tried updating your initramfs image?

Best regards,
Okky Hendriansyah