[vfio-users] VFIO device assignment fails for LSI SAS2008 on Xeon E3-1200 v3

Damon Namod msg at damon.at
Mon May 9 01:24:53 UTC 2016

Hi Okky,

thanks for you response!

Passing the card to a Linux (Ubuntu 15.04) guest fails with the same message:

	qemu-system-x86_64: vfio_dma_map(0x5613dc154610, 0xfeb90000, 0x2000, 0x7f7976a09000) = -14 (Bad address)
	qemu: hardware error: vfio: DMA mapping failed, unable to continue

The M1015 is already flashed to IT mode and I have disable bios boot support to circumvent the issue you described. I already switched the PCIe slot but the symptoms are the same. Actually it's an interesting thought that it might have something to do with the controller itself. Any more thoughts on this? Could be the Xeon E3-1200 and the laking ACS support be an issue (I don't think so though)? Could be a different machine type than `pc` help?

I also tried the latest GIT version of `qemu-system-x86_64` but the error message remains the same. Is there any way to get some more details about the error? `dmesg` isn't much of a help as it doesn't contain any messages regarding my problem. The only error message I got is found inside `/var/log/libvirt/qemu/`...

Thanks and best regards,
Damon