[vfio-users] Recommended GPU

Janusz januszmk6 at gmail.com
Thu May 12 12:35:35 UTC 2016

W dniu 12.05.2016 o 14:24, Dik .... pisze:

> I currently have a R9 290x (Hawaii) "working" but it has issues
> related to this bug covered by this patch: https://goo.gl/DI9cvH
>

> The patch was implemented in QEMU 2.4 and I'm running 2.5. While this
> patch does seem to help I still have problems. After I shutdown the VM
> I'm often unable to suspend or shutdown the host. Amongst other
> symptoms lspci and lshw both hang giving no output. I had none of
> these issues with an old 7950 I had installed before the 290x.
>

> I've come to the conclusion that the 290x is worth more to me on eBay
> than in my machine. Question is would I be better off with nVidia and
> if so does anyone have any feedback with regard to GTX 970 and 980 cards?
>

> Thanks in advance

If you decide to go with another gpu, better wait some time, new cards
from nvidia and amd are comming soon. If you don't want to go with new
cards - I am sure older one will be cheaper. With nvidia there is
problem with some hyperv options, if nvidia detects it doesn't allow to
boot VM. But there was some way around this.
Btw, I have R9 290 (also Hawaii) and since I started using ovmf, I never
had reset problem with my gpu.