[vfio-users] Libvirt vs Qemu: Video card appears different in guest

Okky Hendriansyah okky.htf at gmail.com
Sat May 14 00:31:19 UTC 2016

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 7:07 AM, Abdulla Bubshait <darkstego at gmail.com>
wrote:

> When I am running my Windows 10 system in libvirt through Virt-manager the
> guest is unable
> to load the GPU drivers (AMD Fury X). When I go through qemu script the
> GPU driver loads
> the same way it does on native (if I upgrade on native, the same driver
> gets loaded in VM).
>
> Under libvirt the GPU doesn't appear the same way on the guest (it doesn't
> seem to detect
> that it is the same device, I have to reinstall the driver and that
> constantly fails).
>
> I was wondering what the difference was between the two implementations.
> Here are the scripts I am using.
>
> http://pastebin.com/0c1KXREm
> http://pastebin.com/W6cPyMEB

Hi Abdulla,

I am not really sure about your issue. But if I look at your scripts and
try to compare it, here are my findings:

1.) QEMU hides KVM CPUID (kvm=off), while libvirt does not

2.) QEMU does not have vmport=off, while libvirt has

3.) QEMU uses CPU model host, while libvirt uses host-model (should use
host-passthrough to make it the same as host on QEMU script)

So, I would suggest to hide KVM CPUID, eliminate the vmport=off, and uses
host-passthrough instead in your libvirt.

Best regards,
Okky Hendriansyah